Part A: Accessing the Website
The Website is the Festival of Racing website linked to the Victorian thoroughbred racing industry’s top level domain www.racing.com
The Website contains links to the top level domain www.racing.com
- the kind of information that Racing.com and RVL may collect about you, how it is collected and how it is held by Racing.com and RVL;
- the purposes for which Racing.com and RVL collect, hold, use and disclose personal information;
- how Racing.com and RVL may disclose that information;
- how an individual can access the information held about him or her and seek correction of such information (if required);
- when Racing.com or RVL may use an individual’s information to contact them; and
- the protection of an individual’s personal information.
Racing.com and RVL will only collect personal information or sensitive information that they reasonably require in order to carry out their functions and activities.
Part B: How to contact us about privacy
Your privacy is very important to us. For that reason, please read the following details carefully and contact the Racing.com Privacy Officer if you have any questions.
Racing.com Privacy Officer contact details:
Address: 400 Epsom Road, Flemington, Victoria, 3031
Telephone: (03) 9258 4258
If you are concerned about a possible interference with your privacy, please contact the Racing.com Privacy Officer and Racing.com (or RVL as appropriate) will investigate the matter. Complaints to the Racing.com Privacy Officer must be made in writing. If you do not receive a response within 30 days or your concern is not resolved to your satisfaction, you can refer the matter to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
Before you can lodge a complaint with the OAIC, you will generally need to complain directly to Racing.com. Details on how to lodge a complaint with the OAIC are set out on the OAIC’s website at http://www.oaic.gov.au/privacy/making-a-privacy-complaint
The OAIC can also be contacted on 1300 363 992.
For further information in relation to ‘Access to Personal Information and Correction’ please refer to Part F below.
Part C: Purpose and Collection of Information
The Website aims to provide a destination for racing fans with anywhere, anytime access to racing data, information, ticketing, news and video.
The website’s functions and activities include:
- promotion of the thoroughbred racing industry;
- promotion of Festival of Racing ticketing and event information;
- targeted promotion of Festival of Racing and industry related events, promotions and competitions;
- provision of aggregated data, industry related communications and a Festival of Racing news service;
- advertising services; and
- hosting competitions and promotions.
Personal information is information or an opinion about an identified individual or an individual who is reasonably identifiable, whether true or not, and whether recorded in a material form or not. Personal information includes information such as:
- an individual’s name or address;
- an individual’s date of birth; or
- information about an individual’s opinions, likes and dislikes.
Racing.com and RVL will not collect personal information unless collection of such information is reasonably necessary to enable Racing.com or RVL to carry out one or more of its functions and/or activities.
Racing.com and RVL hold and use personal information about their customers. Typically this information includes a person's name, address, email address, mobile number, date of birth, gender, post code or any other required information.
This information is needed to maintain Racing.com’s and RVL’s records in a format that identifies the person. These records are held by Racing.com and RVL for the purposes of them carrying out their functions and activities.
Information is collected from the individual unless it is unreasonable or impracticable to do so.
Racing.com and RVL may collect personal information from an individual in the course of an individual’s visit to the Website where that individual inputs Personal Information, which includes but is not limited to situations, where an individual:
- activates his or her gold card account;
- logs in to his or her gold card account and inputs or amends information;
- registers to become a subscriber to Racing.com newsletters and communications;
- enters a competition or participates in a promotion;
- posts comments on the Website; or
- becomes an advertiser.
Please note that any comments posted by an individual on the publically accessible section of the Website that are therefore published on the Website, may contain that individual’s name and be displayed in search results on external world wide web search engines.
An individual may have the option of interacting on the Website on an anonymous basis. Please note that Racing.com or RVL will place, use and read cookies and action tags from the computers of individuals that access the Website and record information about those computers, devices and browsers, which enables Racing.com or RVL to tell when a person uses a Website and also helps customise an individual’s Website experience.
If an individual does not wish to receive cookies, it is that individual’s responsibility to set his or her browser to provide that the computer does not accept the cookies.
The purposes for which Racing.com and RVL collect personal information includes:
- measure and improve the services and features of the Website in order to provide the individual with the best service experience possible on the Website
- promoting the thoroughbred racing industry;
- keeping fans informed as to industry events;
- conducting competitions and promotions; and
- providing services related to the thoroughbred racing industry such as circulation of newsletters
Sensitive information is a subset of personal information that is generally afforded a higher level of privacy protection. Examples include information about an individual’s:
- racial or ethnic origin;
- health or medical information;
- membership of a political association, professional or trade association or trade union;
- criminal record; or
- genetic information.
Racing.com and RVL will not collect sensitive information unless the individual has consented to the collection of that information or the collection is required or authorised by law.
Part D: How information is held by Racing.com and RVL and who has access to it
Racing.com and RVL have commercially reasonable processes in place to ensure the security of an individual’s personal information, including encryption of all data when it is transferred to Racing.com’s or RVL’s service providers and limitations on access to personal information within Racing.com or RVL.
Only certain Racing.com and RVL employees, being those required to have access to personal information so that Racing.com and RVL are able to carry out their functions and activities will have access to information held by Racing.com or RVL, in order to protect the information from:
(a) misuse, interference and loss; and
(b) unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
Authorised Racing.com and RVL employees will require a password to access the relevant database(s), where the information is held.
Part E: Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
The website may use or disclose personal information for the purpose for which it was collected and for other purposes permitted by the Privacy Act, including where:
- the individual has consented; or
- the individual would reasonably expect Racing.com or RVL to use or disclose the information for that other purpose, in circumstances where it is:
- (sensitive information) directly related to the purpose for which it was collected; or
- (personal information) related to the purpose for which it was collected;
- the information is provided to Racing.com’s or RVL’s existing or potential business partners or joint venture entities;
- use or disclosure is authorised by law or a court/tribunal order; or
Racing.com or RVL reasonably believe that use or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary for one or more enforcement related activities conducted by, or on behalf of, an enforcement body, as defined in the Privacy Act.
It is not likely that Racing.com or RVL will disclose information to overseas recipients.
Racing.com or RVL may disclose your personal information to third parties for the following purposes:
- to provide the service you wish to use;
- for research purposes relating to the thoroughbred racing industry;
- to customise and promote services and events which may be of interest to you;
- if authorised or required by law;
- with your consent; and/or
- as otherwise required to enable Racing.com and RVL to fulfil the functions and activities as outlined in Part C.
- When personal information is disclosed to third parties, appropriate care is taken to ensure the information is protected from misuse.
Racing.com and RVL may disclose personal information (not sensitive information) to third parties for the purposes of direct marketing services related to the Festival of Racing and the thoroughbred racing industry. An individual will be able to opt-out of direct marketing at any time if he or she chooses, by selecting the unsubscribe or opt out function at the bottom of a communication or in the absence of such a function by notifying the Racing.com Privacy Officer in writing to email@example.com.
Racing.com and RVL will not use or disclose personal information about an individual for the purpose of direct marketing, unless:
Racing.com or RVL collected the information directly from the individual;
the individual would reasonably expect Racing.com or RVL to use or disclose the personal information for that purpose; and
the individual has not opted out of receiving direct marketing.
Racing.com and RVL may disclose personal information to any third party engaged as service and content providers who may be required to assist in the operation of the Websites.
Racing.com and RVL will only disclose personal information to an unrelated third party (being a party not related to the thoroughbred racing industry) with the individual’s consent.
Personal information collected in the course of journalism activities will be handled in accordance with the Australian Press Council’s Privacy Standards.
Part F: Access to Personal Information and Correction
A person can access his or her own personal information by contacting the Racing.com Privacy Officer.
The Racing.com Privacy Officer will respond within a reasonable period after the request is made. In order to access your personal information, you will be required to provide proof of identity.
In some circumstances, a fee may apply.
Racing.com or RVL (as appropriate) will endeavour to take reasonable steps to ensure that the information it holds is accurate, up to date and complete. If the information held by Racing.com or RVL is inaccurate, incomplete or not up to date, the individual may request that Racing.com or RVL correct the information.
There are some circumstances in which Racing.com or RVL is entitled to deny a person access to information, in part or full. These include, amongst others, circumstances where:
- Racing.com or RVL believe that giving access would pose a serious threat to the life, health or safety of any individual, or to public health or public safety;
- giving access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of other individuals;
- the request for access is frivolous or vexatious;
- the information relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings between Racing.com or RVL and the individual, and would not be accessible by the process of discovery in those proceedings;
- giving access would reveal evaluative information generated within Racing.com or RVL in connection with a commercially sensitive decision-making process;
- giving access would be likely to prejudice one or more enforcement related activities conducted by, or on behalf of an enforcement body;
- giving access would be unlawful (for example, if providing the information would amount to a breach of legal professional privilege or a breach of confidence); or
- denying access is required or authorised by or under an Australian law or a court/tribunal order.
If any request for access to information is to be denied in part or full or not provided in the manner requested by an individual, Racing.com or RVL will give the individual a written notice, setting out, amongst others, the reasons for the refusal except to the extent that, having regard to the grounds for the refusal, it would be unreasonable to do so.
Part G: Club, Betting Partner and Affiliate websites
The Website contains links to other websites, including the following, which have their own privacy policies.
Racing.com (top level domain):
Racing.com - www.racing.com
Clubs (and industry related organisations):
Country Racing Victoria - www.countryracing.com.au
Melbourne Racing Club – www.mrc.racing.com
Racing Victoria – www.rv.racing.com
Victoria Racing Club – www.vrc.net.au
Moonee Valley Racing Club – www.thevalley.com.au
Tabcorp - www.tab.com.au/vic
RISA - www.risa.com.au
RSN - www.RSN.net.au
Best Bets – www.bestbets.com.au
Winning Post – www.winningpost.com.au